- "Gracias."
- "No, Gracias."
- "Estoy llena." ("I'm full," usually paired with a casual wave of the right hand.)
- "Cómo?" ("What?")
- "(Slight smile and head nod, to indicate a mild level of comprehension.)"
- "Más despacio, por favor." ("Slow down, please. I feel like an idiot.")
- "(Slight smile and head nod, to pretend to indicate a mild level of comprehension.)"
So as I recline at the table, I have plenty of time to ponder the benefits of my ignorance. I am served just as much humility at every meal as mote. Nothing busts an over-built self-confidence like a few well-meant, extremely simplified questions. Usually this occurs in the middle of an animated conversation. Then one member of the family will turn to me and ask me something like "Le gusta la cerveza?" ("Do you like beer?") or "Ha visto Titanic?" ("Have you seen Titanic?"). I smile and answer like a five-year-old at parent-teacher conferences, and the conversation picks up where it left off, at Mach 5, leaving me in the dust.
I want to tell this family that I'm not a freeloader, that I'm grateful for all that they do. I want to tell them about myself, my life back home, my friends at Taylor, all the stupid pranks we do, that one time we stayed up till three throwing popcorn all over the floor. But right now I have the opportunity to not hear the sound of my own voice. I have the opportunity to love with actions, because I can't love with words. I say thank you ten times more than is necessary (or even sane), I make my bed in the morning, I offer to help with family chores, I give gifts, and my Bible is getting more use than it has in a very long time.
The book of James comes to mind. It's basic message is this: "So you say you're a Christian, great. Now show me by the way that you live." Walk your talk. Listen to God and do what He says. Don't just say you will serve others, really serve them.
"If you are wise and understand God's ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom." -James 3:13
No comments:
Post a Comment