Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sienna points to the giant, flat concrete surface a few yards ahead of her in the field.
"How did that get there?"
"It's not important," Jenna explains. "You'll understand eventually."
"Fine. But at least tell me why we're here."
"You'll see, it's sort of... well, its a metaphor."
"For what?"
Jenna shook her head. "You ask too many questions."

The girls step up onto the concrete platform. Sienna surveys the area.
"It's... massive! Who built it?"
"You did. Sort of."
"I did not build this thing."
"You asked for it to be built, and someone built it for you."
"I did not."
"Trust me. This is a metaphor, remember?"
"Oh yeah..."
"Ok, this concrete was laid here so you could build something on it. Now, I'm gonna tell you that you should build a structure here, because in about..." Jenna checks her watch, "sixteen minutes, somebody important is gonna come and check your work."
Sienna's eyes widen. "I better get started then! What do I build with?"
Jenna motions toward several piles on the far side of the platform. A couple of the piles sparkle in the metaphorical sunlight. Jewels, silver, gold, some sticks, and a few bales of hay.
"Wait, those weren't here a minute ago..."
Jenna rolls her eyes. "Fifteen minutes."

Sienna is sure whoever will check her work will obviously prefer it to be made out of the more valuable materials. She decides to build a tower and start with gold and silver. But when she finishes the base of her tower, she gets tired of dragging the heavy metal bricks. Plus, carrying all that extra weight takes too much time, and Jenna's standing off to the side, tapping her watch in anticipation. Four minutes. Sienna opts for the lighter materials and tosses them on top. She finishes by throwing a handful of jewels on her creation.
"Sienna! Stop! Here he comes!"
Sienna stands back and admires her work. Not bad. It even has modern, artsy look to it. She turns around and sees a man in a jumpsuit and clipboard, approaching from about a hundred yards off. She stands proudly near her tower, admiring its artistic beauty, when suddenly the tower bursts into flame.
"WHAT!!! AHHHH!!!! Somebody quick, grab a fire extinguisher!!!"
But there is none to be found. After all, they're in the middle of a field.

Sienna can only watch as her work burns to a crisp before her eyes. Then the guy with the clip board arrives.

"Hmmm." He walks around the dilapidated pile of dirty, melty gold and silver bricks, bathed in a healthy amount of ash. He rubs his chin as he circles the tragedy.
"It looked way better five minutes ago, I swear."
The guy with the clip board looks at Sienna and smiles. "I set it on fire."
"But... but... why?" Sienna asked, stunned.
"I hate when people build with sticks and hay. It's kind of pointless."

So much for the modern, artsy look.

Sienna gets defensive. "But it's my tower. Why do you care what I build the thing out of?"
The man pauses his inspection of the rubble, tucks the clip board under his arm and the pencil behind his ear. He looks at Sienna understandingly.
"You built it for me."
"I did?"
"You did, metaphorically, of course. But hey, now that I've cleaned the thing up a bit, I wanna give it to you."
Sienna looks at the sad mess that lies in front of her. "O dear. Maybe I should've added a bit more gold..."
"Yeah, but what can you do." He points at the place where the piles of building materials had once stood. All the extra material is gone." But even if you hadn't used any gold or silver, at least you've still got this foundation to stand on. By the way, I built it for you."
"Oh. Thanks."
"No problem. Good thing this is just a metaphor, right? If I were you, I'd start adding a few more gold bricks to the ol' pile, if you know what I mean. Especially now that you know who ultimately receives it."
"And what if I don't?" Sienna says defiantly.
The guy looks disappointed. "Alright. But I built this foundation for you when you asked for it, so you'll still be safe."

"Safe from what?"

"That."

He pointed off into the distance. There was a wildfire burning less than a mile away, approaching fast.
"Oh. That."
"Yeah. Most people don't see it coming, but you did a long time ago. Way to plan ahead!"
"Ummm... Thanks!" Sienna was starting to get the picture. "I appreciate the thought."
"Yeah, that's another reason why people like to add the gold."
"Don't worry," Sienna says, "I will."

No comments:

Post a Comment